Monday, November 29, 2010

What DO vegans eat?

Wow, if I had a nickel for everytime I was asked that question ; )

But seriously, I do realize that being vegan can be prohibitively confusing for those who have fallen in love with animal products, who view ordering steak as an action of privilege or a special treat. Society has unfortunately, glorified the consumption of meat products to the point that many believe that we are better off eating a high protein, fat-laden, cholesterol-filled diet of death. But, my goodness, I shouldn't be so extreme ... 

I remember first becoming vegan - yes, "becoming", it was a process. I meandered through the soy meat replacements, ate way too many veggie burgers, veggie hot dogs, morning star riblets, etc. gorged on Soy Delicious "ice cream", and started eating Lara Bars like they were going out of business. I think I consumed higher amounts of "meat" products and processed foods (Organic, no preservatives, no GMOs), than I had ever taken in as a meat-eater! But again, it was part of my process; I knew I had to keep learning. Which I did by talking to others who had been down this path, through trying different foods that I had not tasted before, and by sharing what I was learning with others.

Often, during this transitional period, conversations with friends and family would center around food; some were offended that I had changed so drastically. I think they felt I was judging them or criticizing their way of life. Others tried to be supportive, but in a way that seemed they felt sorry for me, "Oh, you can't have cheesecake anymore ..." (Sad smile, shaking head). But surprisingly, the most consistent statement/question that came up was, "I might consider being vegan, but it's so extreme; besides, what can you eat besides beans and salad?!" It's funny how it creeps into the conversation that my choice may be a positive one, if only it didn't make life so uncomfortable ("I might consider ..." and "... extreme", ie. what will people think?).

So, as a dedicated plant-eater, in order to clarify the fact that I do not live on beans and salad, I have made it part of my mission to prepare, eat and share awesome vegan food with all who are interested. Parties for many occasions at the yoga studio - all vegan; Teacher Training - vegan cooking classes; at restaurants - I ask and explain politely about vegan food choices that are or are not on the menu; and at home - I continue to try new recipes, and share them with others. There is an abundance of delicious, beautiful, health-filled, non-animal things to eat. I am fortunate to have an amazingly supportive group of yogis and veg club members with whom I walk this path; and perhaps most significant, I know that if you believe in what you are doing, you find a way to make it work!
Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment