Friday, May 11, 2012

I anticipate my return to the rainforest with excitement and wonder; I am still amazed.

I dream of a tropical paradise. I envision myself standing on an open air platform overlooking the rainforest – green for miles, cool tropical breezes blowing through my hair, cooling my skin. I dream of a quiet walk on the beach, an undeveloped expanse of sand and water that is natural, grainy, and soft. I hear the whisper of the waves calling, “Come, relax, breathe, be …” I stand on the platform, eyes closed, palms together in front of my heart, and answer, “Auuummm …” There are no sounds of cars, trains, or semi-trucks; there is no air pollution to stifle deep breathing. There is only peace and space. Stillness is the background, the foreground, and all grounds in between. Except for the gentle shushing of trees moving with the wind, the steady rhythm of the ocean, and the call of the howler monkeys announcing the beginning of a new day, there is stillness, steadiness, and mindfulness as a way of being.

I remember my first visit to the paradise that is Luna Lodge; we were greeted by Lana herself, visionary/creator/preserver of this amazing place. With a knowing smile, she gently offered tall cool glasses of water, led us to the lodge platform, and presented the rainforest as if it were her child. We stood gazing across miles of lush, green, billowing trees, barely breathing, in awe-struck silence. The expansiveness is breathtaking; the denseness of foliage is indescribable. I could not stop looking, I could not speak; I knew I was blessed with a secret that many will never know. I finally took a breath and felt a full-body exhale, as if it came from the trees themselves, releasing all stress, tension, fears, and inhibitions. I sensed a gentle softening of something very deep within myself. The healing magic of Mother Nature with the incredible nourishment of tropical surrounds us, embraces us and offers us her love and healing as we respectfully honor her domain. I anticipate my return to the rainforest with excitement and wonder; I am still amazed.


No comments:

Post a Comment